verb[with object] Surgery
- Tie up (an artery or vessel): the uterine artery was ligatedMore example sentences
- We performed a splenectomy and ligated the bleeding vessels.
- Army nurses worked autonomously in the surgical arena, triaging the wounded, initiating blood transfusions, beginning penicillin regimens for those with open wounds, suturing, and ligating vessels.
- Then, the arteries were doubly ligated with silk sutures simultaneously.
late 16th century: from Latin ligat- 'tied', from the verb ligare.
More definitions of ligateDefinition of ligate in:
- The US English dictionary