Definition of light-hearted in English:
1Amusing and entertaining: a light-hearted speech
More example sentences
- Postings and weblogs covering broad topics about Japan, with emphasis on legit news as well as humorous, light-hearted content.
- It was supposed to be light-hearted, so I'm really glad that you liked it!
- Milano strikes a balance between more serious scientific research and light-hearted self-examination.
1.1(Of a person) cheerful or carefree.
- He was very light-hearted, and he always knew how to make her laugh.
- He was never light-hearted about anything, but she made him feel like that whenever he was around her.
- He was so light-hearted it was impossible to stay angry at him for one of his jokes.
carefree, cheerful, cheery, happy, merry, glad, playful, jolly, jovial, joyful, jocund, gleeful, ebullient, high-spirited, lively, perky, blithe, bright, sunny, buoyant, vivacious, bubbly, effervescent, jaunty, bouncy, breezy;
easy-going, free and easy, happy-go-lucky, in good spirits, untroubled, genial;
informal chirpy, upbeat
- Example sentences
- The couple light-heartedly arranges for a local mystic, Madame Arcati, to give a seance and the unfortunate result is that Elvira returns from beyond the grave to make their lives miserable.
- The Data Protection Inspectorate does not issue permits light-heartedly, but if the permit has been issued, the database is secure.
- In agreement with previous reviews, I would like to reiterate that this is not a trip or tourist destination to be considered light-heartedly.
- Example sentences
- It had a light-heartedness that was endearing and worthy of that Sherlock Holmes genre it so alluringly wanted to emulate.
- You wondered if your dream meant that the light-heartedness and joy of your life (your dog) was being killed off by the hideous situation.
- This light-heartedness is reflected in the national symposia's wanderings throughout the country's regions, where they are often entrusted to groups just beginning to form rather than to well-established groups.
Words that rhyme with light-hearteddownhearted, good-hearted, hard-hearted, heavy-hearted, kind-hearted, lion-hearted, overparted, tender-hearted, uncharted, warm-hearted, wholehearted
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan