noun[mass noun] Botany
- A complex organic polymer deposited in the cell walls of many plants, making them rigid and woody.More example sentences
- Callose, lignin and suberin are polymers that can be elicited as plant defences that reinforce cell walls of some species.
- The hypodermis of all three species has two distinct zones that contain suberin and lignin.
- Impregnation of endodermal and hypodermal walls with suberin and lignin should reduce the diameter of interfibrillar spaces.
More definitions of ligninDefinition of lignin in:
- The US English dictionary