Definition of lignite in English:
A soft brownish coal showing traces of plant structure, intermediate between bituminous coal and peat.
- Peats will in situ change successively to lignite, to bituminous coal, and eventually to anthracite.
- Coal is usually classified into the sub-groups known as anthracite, bituminous, lignite, and peat.
- The Tertiary coal of northern Thailand is classified according to coal rank as lignite to bituminous coal.
- Example sentences
- The Oligo-Miocene succession consists of interbedded clays and sandstones with subordinate lignitic horizons and several thick conglomeratic units towards the base of the Oligocene.
- It is capped by the above mentioned sandstone unit and grades into lignitic clay below.
- The major limitation for using lignitic and sub bituminous Pakistani coals as fuels, is their high sulphur content.
Words that rhyme with ligniteselenite • gelignite
Definition of lignite in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan