- A soft brownish coal showing traces of plant structure, intermediate between bituminous coal and peat.More example sentences
- Peats will in situ change successively to lignite, to bituminous coal, and eventually to anthracite.
- Coal is usually classified into the sub-groups known as anthracite, bituminous, lignite, and peat.
- The Tertiary coal of northern Thailand is classified according to coal rank as lignite to bituminous coal.
- More example sentences
- The Oligo-Miocene succession consists of interbedded clays and sandstones with subordinate lignitic horizons and several thick conglomeratic units towards the base of the Oligocene.
- It is capped by the above mentioned sandstone unit and grades into lignitic clay below.
- The major limitation for using lignitic and sub bituminous Pakistani coals as fuels, is their high sulphur content.
early 19th century: coined in French from Latin lignum 'wood' + -ite1.
More definitions of ligniteDefinition of lignite in:
- The US English dictionary