noun[mass noun] Medicine
- A synthetic compound used as a local anaesthetic, e.g. for dental surgery, and in treating abnormal heart rhythms.
More example sentences
- An aromatic amide; chemical formula: C14H22N2O
- In 1905, cocaine was replaced by the synthetic drug novocaine This in turn was replaced by lignocaine, which is in use today.
- Local anaesthetics, for example benzocaine and lignocaine are used in both lozenges and throat sprays.
- Other topical medicines have been used to induce vasoconstriction, including adrenaline, oxymetazoline, xylometazoline and phenylephrine, combined with lignocaine for anaesthesia.
More definitions of lignocaineDefinition of lignocaine in:
- The US English dictionary