noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A volatile hydrocarbon mixture obtained from petroleum, used as a solvent.More example sentences
- The crude crystals are recrystallized from a mixture of toluene and ligroin by use of decolorizing charcoal.
- Ligroin is a common solvent used in reactions which consist mostly of mixed hexanes.
- Measure 3 ml of a 3% aqueous solution of bromine into each of three test tubes and add 1 ml portions of purified ligroin to two of the tubes and 1 ml of cyclohexene to the third.
late 19th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of ligroinDefinition of ligroin in:
- The US English dictionary