Definition of ligula in English:
noun (plural ligulae /-liː/)Entomology
The strap-shaped terminal part of an insect’s labium, typically lobed.
- They transport the spermatophores with a copulatory organ, called the ligula, located on the tip of one of their arms.
- This individual is a hyolithid without question because both the ligula and the dorsoventral differentiation ordinarily seen in hyoliths are clearly present.
- Conchs of the Girvan specimens match the diagnostic traits given above in terms of the ligula, aperture and ornamentation on the shell.
mid 18th century: from Latin, 'strap'.
- Example sentences
- It has medium thick greenish yellow cane and medium long lanceolate ligular process on one side.
- The present invention relates to a hydrophilic extract predominantly composed of camomile ligular florets that may, for example, be used for liquid vaginal preparations for human females.
- By combinations of wide crosses and DNA transformation, we can now partition ligular region morphological differences to genes and gene sequence.
Definition of ligula in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan