1A Eurasian shrub or small tree of the olive family, which has fragrant violet, pink, or white blossom and is a popular garden ornamental.
- Genus Syringa, family Oleaceae; several species, in particular the common lilac (S. vulgaris), with many cultivars.
- A very popular flowering shrub, lilacs serve many purposes in gardens.
- It also affects trees, such as lilacs, hydrangeas, chrysanthemums and red and Scotch pines, as well as many others.
- The sweet smell of lilies, roses, lilacs, buttercups, violets, and many other flowers Rodom could not even recognize.
1.1 [mass noun] A pale pinkish-violet colour: [as modifier]: a lilac cardigan
More example sentences
- His eyes were pale lilac, coloured contacts she mused, and they seemed to sparkle in the light like jewels.
- His bungalow in London's Blackheath - home to wife Jackie and daughters Cecile and Hermione - is decorated in his favourite colour: lilac.
- I get the feeling that yellow and lilac are your favourite colours.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: lilac
Definition of lilac in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.