noun (plural limbi /-bʌɪ/)Anatomy
- The border or margin of a structure, especially the junction of the cornea and sclera in the eye.More example sentences
- The central portion of the bulbar conjunctiva is continuous at the limbus with the anterior epithelium of the cornea.
- An incision is made in the conjunctiva at the limbus using a #57 ophthalmology blade.
- Under direct microscopic visualization, three tiny incisions (ie, sclerotomies) are made through the sclera a few millimeters behind the limbus.
late Middle English (denoting limbo): from Latin, 'edge, border'. The current sense dates from the late 17th century.
More definitions of limbusDefinition of limbus in:
- The US English dictionary