1 (the limelight) The focus of public attention: the shock win has thrust him into the limelight
More example sentences
- As that group of teenagers continue to hog the limelight, Doumbe is relieved to be emerging from the shadows.
- Similarly, Nilambur continues to hog the limelight when it comes to earthenware.
- The oldies hog the limelight, leaving the modern beauties crying for attention.
steal (or hog) the limelight
- informal Draw the focus of attention to oneself at the expense of others: she’s careful not to steal the limelightMore example sentences
- Olga, the Giant Pacific Octopus, is stealing the limelight at the popular aquatic centre.
- His delightful bride stole the limelight as she looked simply magnificent as she strolled up the aisle in St Mary's Cathedral.
- He made her tone it down so she would not steal the limelight.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: lime|light
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.