1 (the limelight) The focus of public attention: the shock win has thrust him into the limelight
More example sentences
- As that group of teenagers continue to hog the limelight, Doumbe is relieved to be emerging from the shadows.
- Similarly, Nilambur continues to hog the limelight when it comes to earthenware.
- The oldies hog the limelight, leaving the modern beauties crying for attention.
steal (or hog) the limelight
- informal Draw the focus of attention to oneself at the expense of others: she’s careful not to steal the limelightMore example sentences
- Olga, the Giant Pacific Octopus, is stealing the limelight at the popular aquatic centre.
- His delightful bride stole the limelight as she looked simply magnificent as she strolled up the aisle in St Mary's Cathedral.
- He made her tone it down so she would not steal the limelight.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.