Definition of line engraving in English:
1An engraving made from a metal plate on which lines of varying thickness have been incised.
- They were line engravings of a particularly dim type which probably had some deep-seated affect on me.
- In the 1870s, Shakers outside Maine began to use commercial line engravings traced from photographs when they wanted to picture their home villages.
- He was a former employee of Williams, Stevens, Williams and Company who published The Heart of the Andes as a line engraving in 1861.
1.1 [mass noun] The art or technique of making line engravings.
- In line with print publishers' usual practice, Goupil, Vibert and Company classified its stock first by technique - line engraving, aquatint and mezzotint engraving, lithography - then by subject, such as views, portraits, and genre.
- The woodcut is the senior member of the family of relief prints, differing fundamentally from intaglio methods such as etching or line engraving.
- They could be printed in books and newspapers only as some form of line engraving until the invention of the halftone printing plate in the 1880s, but thousands of original prints were for sale by dealers.
- line-engraved adjective
- Example sentences
- Thus the line-engraved ‘social’ satires issued by Matthew Darly, who for many years had a shop, with his wife, Mary (herself a printmaker), in the Strand, had a wide circulation.
- The early issues of Great Britain, from May 1840 until 1855, where printed almost exclusive using the line-engraved (gravure, recess) printing method.
- line engraver noun
- Example sentences
- He was the most original line engraver of 16th-century France, who began as a goldsmith and was master of the Dijon guild 1509.
- This combination of chemical and mechanical together with the artistic, is universal in line engraving.
Definition of line engraving in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.