(also linga /ˈlɪŋgə/)
- A symbol of divine generative energy, especially a phallus or phallic object as a symbol of Shiva. Compare with yoni.More example sentences
- In particular, Hinduism and the lingam, or phallic symbol associated with the god Siva, are highlighted.
- In the same area we find the Raghunath temple with icons of Rama, Sita, Lakshmana, Hanuman, Radha and Krishna, with 51 Shiva lingas and 34 Saalgraams.
- At the feast for Shiva, for example, villagers prepare a huge, steamed rice cake made in the shape of a lingam (Shiva's phallic symbol) and stuffed with cheese, molasses, and coconut.
from Sanskrit liṅga, literally 'mark, (sexual) characteristic'.
More definitions of lingamDefinition of lingam in:
- The US English dictionary