- 1 Botany & Zoology Tongue-shaped.More example sentences
- The electrical terminals are mounted on the receptacle base and extend into the lingulate board.
- 2 Zoology Denoting a type of burrowing brachiopod with an inarticulate shell and a long pedicle.More example sentences
- In the course of our investigations into Ordovician lingulate brachiopod faunas from such limestone residues, we have recovered occasional specimens of small ‘hat-like’ phosphatic plates of enigmatic affinities.
- This fauna and those described previously from older Utah strata document the biodiversification of the Cambrian-Ordovician lingulate brachiopods and demonstrate their potential for regional and intercontinental correlation.
- A new species of the poorly known lingulate brachiopod Schizobolus is described from the Famennian of Poland.
mid 19th century: from Latin lingulatus, based on lingua 'tongue', from lingere 'to lick'.
More definitions of lingulateDefinition of lingulate in:
- The US English dictionary