- A mainly brown and grey finch with a reddish breast and forehead.
More example sentences
- Genus Acanthis, family Fringillidae: three species, in particular the Eurasian A. cannabina
- And he found a number of bird species, such as the corn bunting, tree sparrow, grey partridge, skylark, linnet and yellow wagtail, which have been seriously declining since the growth of intensive agriculture.
- The farm itself has good numbers of breeding birds and is home to yellowhammers, linnets, corn buntings, tree and hedge sparrows, along with lapwings and grey partridge.
- The Red List also features a disturbingly high number of formerly common farmland birds which are rapidly declining: tree sparrow, grey partridge, spotted flycatcher, song thrush, skylark, linnet and turtle dove.
early 16th century: from Old French linette, from lin 'flax' (because the bird feeds on flaxseeds).
More definitions of linnetDefinition of linnet in:
- The US English dictionary