noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A pancreatic enzyme that catalyses the breakdown of fats to fatty acids and glycerol or other alcohols.More example sentences
- You need a supplement that provides all of the three main groups of enzymes - amylase, protease and lipase - to break down fats, carbohydrates and proteins.
- Intriguingly, enzymes such as lipase, lysozyme, and subtilisin retained their activities in organic solvents.
- Studies on lipase showed that enzyme catalysis, substrate binding, and substrate releasing correspond to different types of motion styles.
late 19th century: from Greek lipos 'fat' + -ase.
More definitions of lipaseDefinition of lipase in:
- The US English dictionary