noun[mass noun] Physiology
The breakdown of fats and other lipids by hydrolysis to release fatty acids.
More example sentences
- First, in men, testosterone stimulates lipolysis, inducing an increase in free fatty acid release from the visceral fat depots.
- Taking the extended-release formulation at bedtime may diminish lipolysis and the release of free fatty acids to the liver, limiting the usual diurnal increase in plasma triglycerides.
- When lipolysis outraces lipogenesis and releases fatty acids into the blood, they diffuse into all cells of the body to be used as fuel.
- More example sentences
- During the postinjury catabolic and lipolytic response, one would expect insecticides, as well as other lipophilic chemicals, to be released from fat depots.
- Finally, growth hormone is lipolytic, inducing the breakdown of tissue lipids and thus providing energy supplies that are used to support the stimulated protein synthesis induced by increased amino acid uptake.
- In addition to its powerful, extended-release thermogenic and lipolytic activity, it can also be an excellent pre-workout pick-me-up.
Definition of lipolysis in:
- The US English dictionary