Definition of liquor in English:
1Alcoholic drink, especially distilled spirits.
- But men are more likely to order alcohol in casual dining restaurants; both men and women drink liquor and wine.
- People don't realize that if they order a tall drink they're getting the same amount of liquor as a short drink.
- At the bar, look for upscale liquor and signature drinks along with a variety of tapas.
2.1Liquid in which something has been steeped or cooked.
- These had been slightly glazed with concentrated poaching liquor and dusted with what tasted like ground-down, caramelised peach crisps.
- A lot of popular spicy dishes require the ingredients to be marinated in a liquor for a few hours or overnight.
2.2Liquid which drains from food during cooking.
- They are more similar to dried beans than either crowder or black-eyed peas, and make a clear liquor when cooked.
- Imagine you are making jam and have gotten to the point where you pour the steaming liquor of fruit, sugar, and pectin into the jars.
- Strain over a wide jug and retain the liquor, discarding the peppercorns.
2.3The liquid from which a substance has been crystallized or extracted.
2.4Water used in brewing.
verb[with object] Back to top
- 1be/get liquored up
- North American informal Be or get drunk: he got liquored up again on FridayMore example sentences
- But we did make plans to go out a couple of weeks later and had a grand old time partying together, getting liquored up and doing karaoke.
- My father wouldn't let me drive the Porsche but I knew if we all went in one car, once my parents were liquored up, they would give me their keys to drive them home.
- Of the night before his first college game, age 17, he said, ‘We got liquored up because the beer was there and because we could.’
Words that rhyme with liquorbicker, clicker, dicker, flicker, kicker, nicker, picker, pricker, shicker, slicker, snicker, sticker, ticker, tricker, vicar, whicker, Wicca, wicker
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.