(also lisle thread)
- A fine, smooth cotton thread used especially for stockings: [usually as modifier]: black lisle stockings [count noun]: silks, lisles, and chiffonsMore example sentences
- Fawn lisle or black woollen stockings and lace up shoes were required, but during the war with the shortage of clothing girls were allowed to wear three quarter grey woollen socks.
- My uniform was a navy gym frock and blazer, a white blouse, and black lisle or woollen stockings.
- During the war years she wore black lisle stockings for work, but it was the Du Pont nylons that were the most prized.
mid 16th century: from Lisle, former spelling of Lille, the original place of manufacture.
More definitions of lisleDefinition of lisle in:
- The US English dictionary