Definition of lithify in English:
verb (lithifies, lithifying, lithified)[with object] chiefly Geology
Transform (a sediment or other material) into stone: these sediments are lithified to form shales, limestones, and sandstones
More example sentences
- Another strong argument against the mammoth death-in-the-Flood hypothesis is that the Beringian animals are buried in unconsolidated surficial sediments overlying lithified sedimentary rocks.
- Low-strain deformation of many natural rocks, both unlithified sediments and lithified sedimentary rocks, occurs by strain localization in dilatant joints or in shear bands that can dilate or compact.
- This sediment was locally lithified to form thin hard grounds, presumably at times of non-sedimentation or significantly reduced sedimentation.
- Example sentences
- These differences could be related to variation in degree of lithification of the overburden, causing it to collapse vertically rather than with more gentle downsagging.
- An alternative mechanism involves lithification by magnesium calcite, aragonite, or dolomite brought about by the subsurface mixing of sea water with fresh waters draining from the land.
- Bands of sheared sandstone, mudstone, and conglomerate locally form broken units indicating deformation prior to full lithification of sediment, consistent with an accretionary complex origin.
Definition of lithify in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan