Definition of lithosphere in English:
The rigid outer part of the earth, consisting of the crust and upper mantle: the lithosphere comprises a number of plates [mass noun]: continental lithosphere has a lower mean density than oceanic lithosphere
More example sentences
- An alternative to an active mantle thermal anomaly is greater stretching of the mantle lithosphere than the crust.
- We attribute base level changes to the influence of the proto-Iceland mantle plume beneath the lithosphere, providing support until continental break-up west of the Faroe Islands.
- After new oceanic crust forms, the lithosphere cools and thickens as it moves away from the ocean ridge.
- Example sentences
- Mineral compositions vary as magmas evolve in sub-volcanic, lithospheric magma chambers by assimilation and differentiation.
- They are interpreted to have been derived from subduction modified lithospheric and asthenospheric mantle sources.
- These features of the Moine succession are instead most consistent with accumulation in a regionally extensive shallow marine basin formed during subsidence following initial lithospheric thinning.
Definition of lithosphere in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan