- The rigid outer part of the earth, consisting of the crust and upper mantle: the lithosphere comprises a number of plates [mass noun]: continental lithosphere has a lower mean density than oceanic lithosphereMore example sentences
- An alternative to an active mantle thermal anomaly is greater stretching of the mantle lithosphere than the crust.
- We attribute base level changes to the influence of the proto-Iceland mantle plume beneath the lithosphere, providing support until continental break-up west of the Faroe Islands.
- After new oceanic crust forms, the lithosphere cools and thickens as it moves away from the ocean ridge.
- More example sentences
- Mineral compositions vary as magmas evolve in sub-volcanic, lithospheric magma chambers by assimilation and differentiation.
- They are interpreted to have been derived from subduction modified lithospheric and asthenospheric mantle sources.
- These features of the Moine succession are instead most consistent with accumulation in a regionally extensive shallow marine basin formed during subsidence following initial lithospheric thinning.
More definitions of lithosphereDefinition of lithosphere in:
- The US English dictionary