- Paper stained with litmus which is used to indicate the acidity or alkalinity of a substance. Blue litmus paper turns red under acid conditions, and red litmus paper turns blue under alkaline conditions.More example sentences
- ‘The litmus paper is still the litmus paper,’ he enunciated in the formal manner of the lecturer.
- Blue litmus paper turns red in acidic solution, and red litmus paper turns blue in basic solution.
- Earth's greatest scientists work around the clock to avert disaster, finally resolving the problem with the careful use of test tubes, Bunsen burners, and litmus paper.
More definitions of litmus paperDefinition of litmus paper in:
- The US English dictionary