- Ironical understatement in which an affirmative is expressed by the negative of its contrary (e.g. I shan’t be sorry for I shall be glad).More example sentences
- Yet this definition fails to explain instances of litotes, or understatement, which is often classified as a kind of irony.
- First one must register his anti-Idealism, his antipathy toward the idea becoming metonymical litotes for such.
- But, if we follow Schwarzbach, Dickens's description of the street mire in Holborn is, if anything, understated - ‘mud’ is not hyperbole, but litotes.
late 16th century: via late Latin from Greek litotēs, from litos 'plain, meagre'.
More definitions of litotesDefinition of litotes in:
- The US English dictionary