A small, stubby short-billed auk (seabird) with black plumage and white underparts, breeding in the Arctic.
- Alle alle, family Alcidae
More example sentences
- ‘We children cried and cried for those little auks,’ the singer added, ‘because we were afraid we would not get any to eat.’
- I thought again of little auks and the children who cried for them.
- The death knell could also be sounded for other species dependent on the ice, such as the ringed seal, bearded seal and little auk.
Definition of little auk in:
- The US English dictionary