Definition of loading in English:
1The application of a mechanical load or force to something: the branches of a tree diminish in cross section according to their loading
More example sentences
- In this study we combined simultaneous mechanical loading and visualization of the microstructural components in the same arterial specimen.
- We tested the role of desmin in initiating such pathways via direct visualization of muscle nuclei before and during mechanical loading.
- Therefore, we selected 5000 cycles of loading to simulate such mechanical conditions.
2An increase in an insurance premium due to a factor increasing the risk involved.
- Insurance policy loading could have a major impact in Scotland, which has one of the worst obesity levels in Europe.
- Mr O'Sullivan believes that if the EU gives the go-ahead for the new scheme the entry premium loading could slip in unnoticed by many consumers by the end of June.
- He also gave assurances on funding and promised a proposal for the Government to pay the loading on haemophiliacs's insurance premiums would be looked at in September.
2.1Australian An increment added to a basic wage for special skills or qualifications.
- Want says the slip shows clearly the employee is not receiving the appropriate loading under the award.
- Additional shifts were voluntary and no loading paid on the standard rate for additional hours.
- The next increase will apply on the 4 April 2002 and will take the minimum loading for casual workers up to 23%.
adjective[in combination] Back to top
(Of a gun, machine, or lorry) loaded in a specified way: a front-loading dishwasher
More example sentences
- Front loading washing machines are often used where top surface access is limited.
- Based on these advantages and disadvantages, the front load washer is the clear winner and is generally the most preferred.
Words that rhyme with loadingforeboding
Definition of loading in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia