- 1A person who avoids work and spends their time idly.More example sentences
- The sophisticated loafer always finds an excuse to avoid work.
- I was standing by the paddock surveying the latest in a line of equine flatterers and good-for-nothing loafers in which I was about to invest.
- But if we agree that hacks and loafers resort to lies because they don't know how else to make great journalism, what can we say about reporters from the Pantheon who marbled their journalism with fiction?
- 2A leather shoe shaped like a moccasin, with a flat heel: his handmade Italian loafersMore example sentences
- There are casual shoes that can pass for dress shoes, with the rubber sole and wedge heel, in both lace shoes and loafers.
- Tan leather shoes are available as loafers or oxfords, as well as suede or calfskin, just make sure that the color is practical with the rest of your wardrobe.
- Blue jeans are versatile and comfortable, and can easily be combined with dressier shoes, sneakers, sandals, or loafers to make for a great sporty look.
mid 19th century: perhaps from German Landläufer 'tramp', from Land 'land' + laufen (dialect lofen) 'to run'.