- A chiefly tropical or subtropical plant of the bellflower family, in particular an annual widely grown as a bedding plant. Some kinds are aquatic, and some grow as thick-trunked shrubs or trees on African mountains.
More example sentences
- Genus Lobelia, family Campanulaceae: many species, including the popular blue-flowered L. erinus
- Annual bedding plants such as lobelia, salvia, petunia and busy Lizzie can be started early.
- She grows low or trailing annuals like alyssum, lobelias, and petunias along the edges of the beds, with taller cosmos, poppies, and zinnias behind.
- Petunias, vinca vine, blue lobelia and alyssum all filled out quickly to cover the box.
modern Latin, named after Matthias de Lobel (1538–1616), Flemish botanist to James I.
More definitions of lobeliaDefinition of lobelia in:
- The US English dictionary