noun (plural lobotomies)
- A surgical operation involving incision into the prefrontal lobe of the brain, formerly used to treat mental illness: there was talk of performing a lobotomy [mass noun]: the revolt against the resurgence of lobotomy Compare with leucotomy.More example sentences
- This operation, also called prefrontal leucotomy or standard lobotomy, was performed widely, and soon its beneficial as well as its detrimental effects became apparent.
- Although we no longer burn mental patients at the stake or perform lobotomies, this new research demonstrates that our treatments for schizophrenia are still far from ideal.
- A few months after performing his first lobotomy in 1936, Freeman presented the case to the annual meeting of the Southern Medical Association.
More definitions of lobotomyDefinition of lobotomy in:
- The US English dictionary