- An anaesthetic that affects a restricted area of the body: a minor operation performed under local anaesthetic [count noun]: the doctor administered a local anaesthetic Compare with general anaesthetic.More example sentences
- Babies who are circumcised are usually given a local anaesthetic because a general anaesthetic is more dangerous.
- It is carried out by an anaesthetist and involves injecting local anaesthetic or painkilling drugs into the epidural space that surrounds the spinal cord.
- Surgery is done under local anaesthetic in the operating theatre.
More definitions of local anaestheticDefinition of local anaesthetic in:
- The US English dictionary