Definition of local colour in English:
1The customs, manner of speech, dress, or other typical features of a place or period that contribute to its particular character: reporters in search of local colour and gossip
More example sentences
- Unfortunately, more time is spent in conjuring up local colour and period detail than in developing any of these characters.
- There will no doubt be plenty of local colour and fine-sounding speeches.
- No matter which eatery you choose, you're bound to have a dining experience with local color and character.
2 Art The actual colour of a thing in ordinary daylight, uninfluenced by the proximity of other colours.
- It is still a disturbing picture - overthrowing perspective, single viewpoint, integral form, local colour, decorative colour.
- Painted in broad, thin, local color and held by black contour lines, each form feels unable to dislodge itself.
- Once the bleach has been applied and the board is dry, local color is applied sparingly using chalk pastels.
Definition of local colour in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.