- 1A lake: Loch LomondMore example sentences
- Fishing a lovely loch, or lake even, for the first time is invariably an uplifting experience.
- It also highlighted the dangers that limpets, snails and anemones might suffer from overheated rock pools, and that enclosed lochs like Loch Maddy could suffocate through lack of oxygen.
- The need for a national academy became a pressing issue when an existing water sports centre at Portobello closed down as a result of rowing in Scotland moving away from the sea and inland to lochs and rivers.
- 1.1 (also sea loch) An arm of the sea, especially when narrow or partially landlocked.More example sentences
- The plan was to steam to the next sea loch, Loch Bay, which had been known by some on board to produce some good diving.
- Now linked to the mainland by bridge, Skye consists of a series of peninsulas, each with its own sea loch, flanked by spectacular cliffs and little bays, many of which have their own white sandy beaches.
- Luckily, the banks of Loch Fyne, the longest sea loch in Scotland, are ideal for cultivating both oysters and mussels.
late Middle English: from Scottish Gaelic.
More definitions of lochDefinition of loch in:
- The US English dictionary