Definition of lode in English:
- The rock layers surrounding coal lodes were penetrated and separated by drillers and explosives.
- Mineralogically, the conglomerate lodes have produced many superb specimens, although they contain fewer mineral species than the fissure veins and amygdaloidal lodes.
- Porcelaneous datolite occurred in the amygdaloidal lodes as veins, vesicle filling, and nodules.
- His research is such a rich lode that I intend to return to ancient Indian science in a future column.
- Marketing samples, for example, can be rich lodes of new failure types because these units are often the first to leave the engineering lab.
- Soil and sea yield unknown lodes of useful microbes
Old English lād 'way, course', variant of load. The term denoted a watercourse in late Middle English and a lodestone in the early 16th century The current sense dates from the early 17th century.
Definition of lode in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.