Definition of lollygag in English:
verb (lollygags, lollygagging, lollygagged)[no object] North American informal
1Spend time aimlessly; idle: she goes to Arizona every January to lollygag in the sun
More example sentences
- Eliza spends some time lollygagging around but doesn't seem interested in actually catching a pig.
- His skin was fairer than his sibling's, which led Blank to believe he spent fewer hours lollygagging outside.
- This meant you could get up and go over to the other side of the room and lollygag around in the line for sharpening pencils.
lollygagger (also lallygagger) noun
- Example sentences
- More schoolchildren sauntered in and his darting eyes tried to keep track of all ten lallygaggers.
- I'm starting to think it might be a lot easier for everyone if we could just get all of these ne'er-do-wells, lollygaggers, and malcontents to put together one class action suit, instead of all of these little petty suits.
- You can mix socializers with competitors and hard-chargers with lollygaggers, but it'll be about as much fun as a long carry over quicksand.
Mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
Definition of lollygag in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.