verb (lollygags, lollygagging, lollygagged)[no object] North American informal
1Spend time aimlessly; idle: she goes to Arizona every January to lollygag in the sun
More example sentences
- Eliza spends some time lollygagging around but doesn't seem interested in actually catching a pig.
- His skin was fairer than his sibling's, which led Blank to believe he spent fewer hours lollygagging outside.
- This meant you could get up and go over to the other side of the room and lollygag around in the line for sharpening pencils.
lollygagger (also lallygagger) noun
- Example sentences
- The next day's very early start didn't gel too well with this renowned lollygagger but cuckoo clocks, fondue and chocolate wait for no man.
- You can mix socializers with competitors and hard-chargers with lollygaggers, but it'll be about as much fun as a long carry over quicksand.
- To celebrate online lollygaggers, the new "TimeWasters" subsite will keep office workers distracted with more games, jokes of the day and character screen savers.
Mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: lolly|gag
Definition of lollygag in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.