Definition of lollygag in English:
verb (lollygags, lollygagging, lollygagged)[no object] North American informal
1Spend time aimlessly; idle: she goes to Arizona every January to lollygag in the sun
More example sentences
- Eliza spends some time lollygagging around but doesn't seem interested in actually catching a pig.
- His skin was fairer than his sibling's, which led Blank to believe he spent fewer hours lollygagging outside.
- This meant you could get up and go over to the other side of the room and lollygag around in the line for sharpening pencils.
mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
lollygagger (also lallygagger) noun
- Example sentences
- More schoolchildren sauntered in and his darting eyes tried to keep track of all ten lallygaggers.
- I'm starting to think it might be a lot easier for everyone if we could just get all of these ne'er-do-wells, lollygaggers, and malcontents to put together one class action suit, instead of all of these little petty suits.
- You can mix socializers with competitors and hard-chargers with lollygaggers, but it'll be about as much fun as a long carry over quicksand.
Definition of lollygag in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan