Definition of long-playing in English:
(Of a record) about 30 cm in diameter and designed to rotate at 33 1/3 revolutions per minute: a long-playing record
More example sentences
- Landowska, Tureck, Gould, and the long-playing record, I believe, did much to bring this monument to public attention.
- The high price of long-playing gramophone records, and the huge quantity of them being issued, meant that many enthusiasts could not buy all the records they wanted.
- They quickly became the de facto world standard recorded-music carrier, and long-playing records and pre-recorded cassettes were discontinued in all but specialized markets within seven years.
- Example sentences
- It is arguably the most cheerfully upbeat and best long-player of their career, brimming with a sunshine energy that brings a welcome ray of warmth into an otherwise cold, bleak winter.
- Without question, they are uplifting affairs, and come without much of the preachy pretensions of the Polyphonic's latest long-player.
- If anything, the opening songs on the long-player are stronger than some of the later offerings, demonstrating a little more musical ambition and drawing on a lot of different styles and instruments.
Definition of long-playing in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan