Definition of lookism in English:
Prejudice or discrimination on the grounds of a person’s appearance.
- The diary disapproves of sexism and lookism in all its curvaceous and beautiful forms.
- And thirdly, despite having always been resolutely opposed to sexism, lookism and shapeism I couldn't get over how ugly the crowd was.
- Of course the show emphasizes lookism and consumerism, but if you watch closely enough, at core the message is, ‘Look good with what you've got, feel good about yourself’.
lookist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- The Eligibles is one of those lists that a few might complain is shallow, vanity-inducing and lookist, but absolutely everyone scans and selects.
- She manages to get off some funny lines and deft observations of the lookist culture, but you have the feeling they came from her co-workers at the magazine.
- Is television a lookist industry? Of course it is.
Definition of lookism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan