Definition of loosener in English:
1A person or thing that loosens something.
- In order to reduce volume losses of carbon loosener by drag out and evaporation and to afford degreasing properties, a seal was developed while neither the carbon loosener nor the seal alone caused corrosion, together they caused gross corrosion of certain metals, especially zinc and magnesium.
- It is an excellent climbing penetrant and nut and bolt loosener.
- First pull one end of the nail loosener through the free edge of your nail.
1.1 informal A relatively undemanding challenge early in a game or competition, before the participants are fully settled or warmed up: first balls from fast bowlers tend to be just looseners
More example sentences
- This was a limb loosener for both teams who will certainly have a post-mortem on the game and sort out their future strategies.
- The opening delivery was a loosener in every sense, pitching halfway down the wicket and spearing down the legside.
- Glenn came down the race and bowled a few looseners on the boundary in front of the members, a little ploy the panel interpreted as a device to play havoc with the England openers’ already fragile state of mind.
Words that rhyme with loosenerfashioner • confectioner
Definition of loosener in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.