Definition of loosener in English:
1A person or thing that loosens something.
- In order to reduce volume losses of carbon loosener by drag out and evaporation and to afford degreasing properties, a seal was developed while neither the carbon loosener nor the seal alone caused corrosion, together they caused gross corrosion of certain metals, especially zinc and magnesium.
- It is an excellent climbing penetrant and nut and bolt loosener.
- First pull one end of the nail loosener through the free edge of your nail.
1.1 informal A relatively undemanding challenge early in a game or competition, before the participants are fully settled or warmed up: first balls from fast bowlers tend to be just looseners
More example sentences
- This was a limb loosener for both teams who will certainly have a post-mortem on the game and sort out their future strategies.
- The opening delivery was a loosener in every sense, pitching halfway down the wicket and spearing down the legside.
- Glenn came down the race and bowled a few looseners on the boundary in front of the members, a little ploy the panel interpreted as a device to play havoc with the England openers’ already fragile state of mind.
Definition of loosener in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan