Any of a number of tall plants which bear upright spikes of flowers and grow by water and in wet ground:
- ● several plants of the genus Lythrum (family Lythraceae), in particular the purple loosestrife (L. salicaria) of the Old World. ● several plants of the genus Lysimachia (family Primulaceae), in particular the yellow loosestrife (L. vulgaris) of Eurasia.
More example sentences
- Purple loosestrife can grow to 3-9 feet tall with several, square stalks per plant.
- Wildflowers here include water parsnip, fringed loosestrife, and hedge nettle.
- Purple loosestrife will grow vigorously and clog irrigation canals, ditches, stream banks and reservoirs, resulting in less water available for crop production and recreation.
Definition of loosestrife in:
- The US English dictionary