- This way you're able to survive and get a variety of loot off enemy ships.
- The Simon Wiesenthal Centre, which traces Nazi loot, has asked the Art Minister to investigate the Collection's provenance for any connection to the Nazis.
- A spokesman said that nothing had been found so far to substantiate the allegations of Nazi loot being in the collection, and there was also an obligation on those who were making the claims to provide sufficient evidence in support of them.
- Mystery surrounds a valuable haul of stolen loot discovered by a dog walker.
- He relates the story of a heist gone wrong as a gang begins to suspect each other after their loot is stolen.
- The heroic 64-year-old was blasted in the stomach at point blank range when he tried to stop two armed robbers escaping with their loot.
- I have a designated driver for the night and the plans are to receive a lot of loot, get obscenely drunk, and pass out.
- That's a lot of loot for a pair of companies that have yet to make a dime in profits.
- And before they suggest that ‘state funding of political parties’ is some novel form of financing, let's look at the vast amounts of loot we currently give them.
- Police and fire service forensics teams picked through the wreckage of a torched car showroom housing 70 cars and a hardware shop which was looted for axes and saws in some of the worst street violence in Britain for years.
- Property and even human beings were randomly set on fire and shops looted during the violence.
- Housing estates have been burnt down, schools ransacked, shops looted.
- This gang had allegedly looted an amount of Rs 61 lakh and killed five persons in nine incidents of crime committed in Punjab and Himachal Pradesh during the past two-and-half years.
- On Sunday night, dacoits looted valuables worth over Rs 1 lakh from a house in Rajarajeshwari Nagar after assaulting the aged residents.
- In the first eleven months, burglars broke into 1,734 houses and looted valuables worth crores of rupees, making a mockery of the night police patrol.
- Example sentences
- Too often those efforts have been thwarted by criminals and looters - literally stealing copper cable from power lines.
- Hospitals, struggling to care for casualties, have been hit by looters stealing equipment, medicines and even beds.
- In other districts, vigilantes set up roadblocks and patrolled neighbourhoods to deter thieves and looters.
Early 19th century (as a verb): from Hindi lūṭ, from Sanskrit luṇṭh- 'rob'.
Like thug, the word loot has its origins in the experience of the British in India. Soldiers picked it up for ‘valuables plundered from an enemy’ from their Hindi-speaking counterparts—it goes back to a word meaning ‘to rob’ in Sanskrit, the ancient language of northern India. The slang sense ‘money’ developed in the 1940s.
Words that rhyme with lootacute, argute, astute, beaut, Beirut, boot, bruit, brut, brute, Bute, butte, Canute, cheroot, chute, commute, compute, confute, coot, cute, depute, dilute, dispute, flute, galoot, hoot, impute, jute, lute, minute, moot, newt, outshoot, permute, pollute, pursuit, recruit, refute, repute, route, salute, Salyut, scoot, shoot, Shute, sloot, snoot, subacute, suit, telecommute, Tonton Macoute, toot, transmute, undershoot, uproot, Ute, volute
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: loot
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.