Definition of lorikeet in English:
1A small bird of the lory family, found chiefly in New Guinea.
- Charmosyna and other genera, family Loridae (or Psittacidae): several species
- Active fast flying lorikeets and big birds such as cockatoos and macaws should be in a large flight aviary.
- The introduction of exotic diseases and trapping for the pet bird trade are also responsible for the declining numbers of lorikeets in the wild.
- On a leafless European tree, not more than ten yards from my window, are sitting upwards of thirty lorikeets.
1.1 Australian term for lory.
- However our parrots, such as lorikeets and rosellas, need weather proof nesting boxes for natural hollow logs fixed a minimum of 3 meters from the ground.
- Rainbow lorikeets were introduced probably through aviary release.
- The colour combination of pale bill, dusky red tail, red on face and red under wings distinguishes the parrot from lorikeets.
Late 18th century: diminutive of lory, on the pattern of parakeet.
Words that rhyme with lorikeetparakeet
Definition of lorikeet in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.