Definition of lorikeet in English:
1A small bird of the lory family, found chiefly in New Guinea.
- Charmosyna and other genera, family Loridae (or Psittacidae): several species
- Active fast flying lorikeets and big birds such as cockatoos and macaws should be in a large flight aviary.
- The introduction of exotic diseases and trapping for the pet bird trade are also responsible for the declining numbers of lorikeets in the wild.
- On a leafless European tree, not more than ten yards from my window, are sitting upwards of thirty lorikeets.
1.1 Australian term for lory.
- However our parrots, such as lorikeets and rosellas, need weather proof nesting boxes for natural hollow logs fixed a minimum of 3 meters from the ground.
- Rainbow lorikeets were introduced probably through aviary release.
- The colour combination of pale bill, dusky red tail, red on face and red under wings distinguishes the parrot from lorikeets.
Late 18th century: diminutive of lory, on the pattern of parakeet.
Words that rhyme with lorikeetparakeet
Definition of lorikeet in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan