Definition of lotus-eater in English:
A person who spends their time indulging in pleasure and luxury rather than dealing with practical concerns: she was thinking of taking the afternoon off, but resisted the impulse to be a lotus-eater
More example sentences
- Of course, with cable TV bringing into Indian drawing rooms visions of myriad destinations for everyone from lotus-eaters, the culture-buffs, and the backpackers, folks want to do a great deal more than armchair travelling.
- Ennui would set in, as we sophisticated consumers became modern-day lotus-eaters, hooked on channel surfing and material comforts.
- And look who they're for: not the lotus-eaters, but everyday folk.
- lotus-eating adjective
- Example sentences
- It's all very well being cool in the lotus-eating time of youth.
- His Aman resorts are best known as tropical havens of lotus-eating luxury, pleasure domes of extreme relaxation.
- The other is a lotus-eating exercise in futurology and speculative metaphysics that sometimes left me breathless and sometimes made my flesh creep.
Definition of lotus-eater in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.