Definition of lotus-eater in English:
A person who spends their time indulging in pleasure and luxury rather than dealing with practical concerns: she was thinking of taking the afternoon off, but resisted the impulse to be a lotus-eater
More example sentences
- Of course, with cable TV bringing into Indian drawing rooms visions of myriad destinations for everyone from lotus-eaters, the culture-buffs, and the backpackers, folks want to do a great deal more than armchair travelling.
- Ennui would set in, as we sophisticated consumers became modern-day lotus-eaters, hooked on channel surfing and material comforts.
- And look who they're for: not the lotus-eaters, but everyday folk.
- Example sentences
- It's all very well being cool in the lotus-eating time of youth.
- His Aman resorts are best known as tropical havens of lotus-eating luxury, pleasure domes of extreme relaxation.
- The other is a lotus-eating exercise in futurology and speculative metaphysics that sometimes left me breathless and sometimes made my flesh creep.
Definition of lotus-eater in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan