1Look angry or sullen; scowl: the lofty statue lours at patients in the infirmary
More example sentences
- He sat louring at the landscape as it slid past the window.
- When she is woken by the kiss, she silently expresses anger, just louring at him.
- He said nothing, only loured at me from the doorway.
1.1(Of the sky or landscape) look dark and threatening.
- The sea is churning and the sky is louring, so buckets and spades are out of the question.
- The following morning, the sort of black cloud that lours over Mordor had swallowed the Cairngorm massif completely and a bitter wind kept the punters away.
Middle English: of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with lourbower, cower, devour, dower, embower, empower, endower, flour, flower, gaur, Glendower, glower, hour, lower, our, plougher (US plower), power, scour, shower, sour, Stour, sweet-and-sour, tower
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.