(Of the sky) dark and threatening: a day of louring cloud
More example sentences
- A breeze touched the white stone like a blind man finding his way and the lowering sky began to shift.
- The late watercolour of Stonehenge, with a louring sky relieved by a double rainbow, is one of his most dramatic illustrations of this idea.
- At William Henry Harrison's March inauguration in 1841, he stepped to the podium without hat or overcoat, under a louring sky, his trouserlegs flapping in the bitter wind, and delivered the longest address on record.
- Example sentences
- When he looked loweringly up, quivering at each sound, his eyes had the expression of those of a criminal who thinks his guilt little and his punishment great, and knows that he can find no words.
- He entered, eyeing the tutor suspiciously and loweringly.
- That is the ugliest, most loweringly brutal-looking theatre I ever remember seeing.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.