- A large brightly coloured fish with a distinctive high forehead. It lives in warm open seas, feeding on jellyfishes and comb jellies.
More example sentences
- Luvarus imperialis, the only member of the family Luvaridae
- On the East Coast, sporadic records document louvars from Connecticut to south Florida and the eastern Gulf of Mexico.
- As indicated by its small beak-like mouth, the louvar feeds on small, soft-bodied creatures such as jellyfish and ctenophores.
- When found in nearshore waters louvars are usually injured or dying.
alteration of Latin name.
More definitions of louvarDefinition of louvar in:
- The US English dictionary