- A gear that causes a wheeled vehicle to move slowly, due to a low ratio between the speed of the wheels and that of the mechanism driving them: I could hear a heavy lorry in low gear [count noun]: congestion forces motorists to travel more frequently in low gearsMore example sentences
- Mountain bikes may offer an extremely low gear to facilitate climbing slowly on steep hills.
- Avoid running the car on high speed with low gears, as this will obviously bring the mileage down.
- Nervous drivers are more likely to make mistakes such as leaving an indicator on, driving at excessively low or fast speeds, staying in low gears and driving too close to the car in front.
More definitions of low gearDefinition of low gear in:
- The US English dictionary