Entry from US English dictionary
1Relating to a visual output device, such as a CRT or a printer, whose images are not sharply defined.
- WebTV and similar devices use a standard low-resolution TV as the display, so they can't display a full web page from most sites without scrolling.
- This means that they draw far less power and they can be used with small portable devices which have mostly been using monochrome low-resolution displays to conserve power.
- If you use a computer and printer, do not submit low-resolution dot matrix print-outs; they will not be read.
1.1Relating to an image that lacks sharp focus or fine detail.
- A high-resolution video of a speaker takes too long to download, but a low-resolution video makes fine details such as the speaker's face and hands appear fuzzy.
- The highland regions seen first in low-resolution Earth-based radar images and Pioneer-Venus radar altimetry are among the most complex surfaces and consist of a terrain that is complexly faulted in orthogonal patterns.
- But it is advisable to start with high-resolution 35-mm slides and then scan to create low-resolution digital images, rather than the other way around.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.