Definition of lower deck in English:
1The deck of a ship situated immediately above the hold.
- There is access to the lower deck and engine room but this is a tight squeeze and not really worth the effort.
- Some of the earliest material relates to life on the lower deck between 1910-22, and is full of detail about training, conditions on board ship and relations between different Naval branches.
- In the alley on the lower deck, I find seamen from all over India sharing jokes and working with clinical efficiency.
1.1The petty officers and crew of a ship, collectively: poetry and music were pastimes of both upper and lower deck
More example sentences
- Did the captain take a democratic vote of the lower deck before deciding to permit the celebration of Satanism?
- Always solicitous towards the concerns of the lower deck, Rodney conspicuously failed in his relations with brother officers, and his ill-starred quest for wealth could prejudice his commands out of a greed for prize money.
Definition of lower deck in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.