Definition of loyalist in English:
1A person who remains loyal to the established ruler or government, especially in the face of a revolt: Tory loyalists
More example sentences
- But he blamed such strikes on terrorists and loyalists from the defunct regime.
- The only delegates from the Russian side were Kremlin loyalists.
- Criminals, saboteurs, and diehard regime loyalists must be detained and tried in a fair manner.
1.1 (Loyalist) A supporter of union between Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
- Top politicians and the press try to claim that Loyalists and Republicans are equally to blame for the violence in Northern Ireland.
- The Loyalist exodus from Northern Ireland had arrived.
- He revealed that more than half of those arrested during the rioting - both Loyalists and nationalists - were juveniles.
1.2 (Loyalist) A colonist of the American revolutionary period who supported the British cause.
- In addition to the Loyalists fleeing the American Revolution, Canada became a sought-after destination for American farmers in search of cheaper land.
- After the American Revolution, many British Loyalists settled in Canada.
- The Auberge takes its name from the historic village of North Hatley, which was initially settled by British Loyalists after the American Declaration of Independence in 1776.
- Example sentences
- He became MP in 1970 and formed the Democratic Unionist Party in 1971, trumping competition from the Vanguard Unionist Progressive Party to represent working-class loyalism.
- In recent years there has been much emphasis on the ways that it reinforced a variety of identities: church and king loyalism, patriotic Britishness, male authoritarianism.
- Read on, for a compilation of rambling late night thoughts, mainly about unionism and loyalism but with a fair bit on republicanism.
Words that rhyme with loyalistroyalist
Definition of loyalist in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.