Definition of loyalist in English:
1A person who remains loyal to the established ruler or government, especially in the face of a revolt: Tory loyalists
More example sentences
- But he blamed such strikes on terrorists and loyalists from the defunct regime.
- The only delegates from the Russian side were Kremlin loyalists.
- Criminals, saboteurs, and diehard regime loyalists must be detained and tried in a fair manner.
1.1 (Loyalist) A supporter of union between Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
- Top politicians and the press try to claim that Loyalists and Republicans are equally to blame for the violence in Northern Ireland.
- The Loyalist exodus from Northern Ireland had arrived.
- He revealed that more than half of those arrested during the rioting - both Loyalists and nationalists - were juveniles.
1.2 (Loyalist) A colonist of the American revolutionary period who supported the British cause.
- In addition to the Loyalists fleeing the American Revolution, Canada became a sought-after destination for American farmers in search of cheaper land.
- After the American Revolution, many British Loyalists settled in Canada.
- The Auberge takes its name from the historic village of North Hatley, which was initially settled by British Loyalists after the American Declaration of Independence in 1776.
- Example sentences
- He became MP in 1970 and formed the Democratic Unionist Party in 1971, trumping competition from the Vanguard Unionist Progressive Party to represent working-class loyalism.
- In recent years there has been much emphasis on the ways that it reinforced a variety of identities: church and king loyalism, patriotic Britishness, male authoritarianism.
- Read on, for a compilation of rambling late night thoughts, mainly about unionism and loyalism but with a fair bit on republicanism.
Words that rhyme with loyalistroyalist
Definition of loyalist in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan