Definition of ludology in English:
The study of games and gaming, especially video games: ludology, like the games it studies, is not about story and discourse at all but about actions and events
More example sentences
- Ludology isn't helpful because it overemphasises just one aspect of videogames.
- I see ludology as a tool, not an ideal.
- In his dissertation he focuses on the effects of videogame play, attempting to incorporate the insights provided by ludology within the frameworks used by sociological and psychological researchers.
1960s: from Latin ludere 'to play' + -ology.
- Example sentences
- It also makes me wonder whether the hardcore 'ludologists' who believe video games aren't or shouldn't be a storytelling medium at all, might be on to something.
- The ludologists see this technique as anathematic to the gameplay experience; narratologists say it adds depth and direction.
- There is an ongoing battle between two videogame factions: the ludologists, who believe that game mechanics are everything, and the narratologists, who argue for the importance of story.
Definition of ludology in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia