(also lues venerea /vɪˈnɪərɪə/)
noun[mass noun] • dated
- A serious infectious disease, particularly syphilis.More example sentences
- Congenital lues up to the time of puberty may simulate acute articular rheumatism.
- On the other hand, I readily admit the influence of a milder form of lues venerea.
- The lues venerea can only be said to be incurable when the disease is got to that deplorable point by neglect, that the emaciated and hectic state of the patient's constitution forbids the use of mercury.
- More example sentences
- Mercury and potassium iodide are the silver lining of the luetic cloud.
- Further screening tests for infective agents including toxocara, toxoplasmosis, leptospirosis, and luetic disease were all negative.
- In attempting to formulate a judgment over these seven new methods for the diagnosis of luetic disease, we can deal with some very briefly.
mid 17th century: from Latin, literally 'plague'.
More definitions of luesDefinition of lues in:
- The US English dictionary