Definition of lugubrious in English:
Looking or sounding sad and dismal: his face looked even more lugubrious than usual
More example sentences
- And so my evening ended with the lugubrious sight and sound, fortunately unseen and unheard, of a chubby old poet singing along to a faltering self-accompaniment, working through a few old style songs.
- I toured the small cemetery with its sad tombstone inscriptions, and then took the short boat trip back to Ile Royale, where a lugubrious guide pointed out the almond tree under which the guillotine used to stand.
- A large, disapproving looking woman of mature years accompanied by a lugubrious Schnauzer - both clad in sleeveless knitted jerkins - had materialised on the lawn.
mournful, gloomy, sad, unhappy, doleful, Eeyorish, glum, melancholy, melancholic, woeful, miserable, woebegone, forlorn, despondent, dejected, depressed, long-faced, sombre, solemn, serious, sorrowful, morose, dour, mirthless, cheerless, joyless, wretched, dismal, grim, saturnine, pessimistic;
British informal looking as if one had lost a pound and found a penny
- Example sentences
- He looks lugubriously over the sprawl of Northampton, coughs frighteningly and mops his brow.
- ‘You are guilty of inhumanity to your fellow man,’ the voice lugubriously intones, and nothing short of a full confession of wrongs committed to all affected will save Stu.
- For a while it became the archetypal maudlin pub drinking song: imagine it lugubriously belted out at closing time with a skinful of beer lubricating every voice.
- Example sentences
- But despite its lugubriousness and morbidness I left the theater going over the narrative possibilities and what they implied about the characters in a surprisingly pleasant mood.
- ‘Coming from a depressed background has paid dividends,’ he later observed with characteristic lugubriousness.
- Unfortunately, some other songs tend towards the kind of treacly lugubriousness that gives country music a bad name.
Words that rhyme with lugubrioussalubrious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia