Definition of luminance in English:
noun[mass noun] Physics
1The intensity of light emitted from a surface per unit area in a given direction.
- The specifications are commonly based on the 2 - D illuminance, luminance, intensity, chromaticity, and polarization distributions.
- Nits are also a measure of luminance, in so many candela per square metre.
- This principal component direction is taken to be the luminance direction.
1.1The component of a television signal which carries information on the brightness of the image.
- The Y component is the luminance of the signal (not the color yellow), and delivers the gray scale image.
- Note that the green channel has twice the number of photodetectors as red or blue (this is because the majority of luminance information is carried in the green channel).
- A sequence of passes separates the luminance and chrominance information from the composite video signal and demodulates the color carrier to separate out color information.
Definition of luminance in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia